Saturday, July 17, 2010

I am a Masochist...and Proud of It

So as if I didn't have enough things to do in my free time, I have decided to start the nearly impossible feat of archiving all my families old pictures and 35mm slides. My family decided to entrust me with the 16+ giant Tupperware buckets packed full of thousands of pictures. Despite the overwhelming amount of work this adventure is going to be, I am extremely excited! My grandparents were both in the Navy during WWII and lived all over the place, from Japan to Turkey, and my dad was quite the traveler himself throughout his life so these pictures are from all over the WORLD!! I went out and bought a scanner specifically built for 35mm slides and negatives and started last night. Check out some of the gems I've found already!! These are all totally untouched SOOB (straight out of a dusty musty the sent of history and memories box).

This is somewhere in the Himalayas when my dad hiked them back in 1977:



Taj Mahal 1977 taken by John Michael Dormer (aka my pops):



Sanibel Island, Florida (January 1968, thanks Kodak for stamping dates on your slides!!!). The hottie with the incredible blond hair on the left is my dad. Yes, I just called my dad hot....


This is my beautiful Grandmother and my dad. My grandmother wrote on the slide and it looks to say the BÜbada Ferry and was in a box labeled Turkey (and the funny U is used in Turkish, the things I'm learning!), but Google doesn't seem to have heard of such a thing, I'll have to ask my dad or uncle what it is. Date faded off but I'm guessing my dad is about 4, so that would be around 1956. I'm 24 if you're wondering...I'll be 25 in August, but we don't talk about that.


This is my handsome Grandfather. Again the date has faded off, but my grandma did write that this was in Athens:


This one was labeled "little girl we drugged and kidnapped":



I'm kidding. This is me after a long day at the beach on Sanibel Island, Florida. My favorite place in the world, next to Europe. I just wanted to show you how the 35mm negatives come out on my nifty little scanner. I bought it at Khol's and saved a whopping $30! Go get one, they are neat! Saves the pictures at about 1mb, not great, but won't clog up your computer either. Warning: the software it comes with runs like shit on my Windows 7 computer and is VERY slow, but faster than scanning on a color flatbed, so I'm not complaining.

-N

1 comment:

allison said...

These are really cool. I love old photographs!