Wednesday, July 14, 2010

My Dog Has Issues

Rowan is the love of my life, my soul dog, and best friend and I think it's his "issues" that make me love him the most. He does the strangest shit but I think it's the cutest thing on the planet. Other people, more sane people, would be annoyed but not me.

His list of strange behavors is long, but I did manage to get two of his most promenate features on film (aka my digital camera) yesterday.

First we have the "I HAVE to walk between your legs and stop for a butt scratch every time you come back into a room" maneuver:


Now, I know what to expect when my 80lb Rhodesian Ridgeback comes barreling towards my crotch (sorry, no other way to put it) but this gesture can be very off putting for visitors. Most the time they stand up straight with their legs close together, which in turn makes the whole situation worse. Rowan will insist you let him through by a nice bonk on the crotch with his nose, and when you jump from the molestation, between the legs he goes! Then he will patiently wag his tail and await a nice butt scratch, right where his tail attaches is his favorite. Occasionally he'll come from behind and give you a nice butt crack poke, and go for a shoulder scratch. Now that one still gets me from time to time. So if you happen to be visiting me and my fine hound dog anytime soon, no your crotch/butt doesn't smell any more than everyone else's, my dog just wants some affection...you have been warned.

Next we have Rowan's inability to willingly SIT on anything but the top of a set of stairs:


Now Ridgebacks in general, are "non-biddable" dogs. Which is to say that they are not easy to train, and once trained rarely listen anyway. It's a hound thing. They're bred to be independent, in Rowan's case, to run off find a lion and keep it bayed until you can come shoot it (haha yeah right!). Well when it comes to sitting, Rowan's biddable-ness, is completely non-existent. I swear he loves the frustration I produce after saying "Rowan SIT" 76 times. I have come to the conclusion that he doesn't like putting his "boys" on questionable surfaces, such as cold concrete, splintery wood, tickily grass etc. BUT when there are stairs involved he is more than willing to plunk his booty down no matter what the surface texture. I told you he had issues. Any men out there who can enlighten me??

Now, I may seem frustrated with this whole behavior, but I secretly love it. Rowan's odd "balls on-the-floor" phobia is easily remedied. If you yourself take a seat on the floor he will rush over to you, turn around, backs that ass up, and sit in your lap, a gesture I find absolutely adorable! I love snuggling my pup. Ahh....I can see us now in the rally ring, "Good morning judge, oh don't mind the guy by the "sit" sign, he's just my dogs testicle cushion."

Tune in next week, maybe I'll get a good shot of his "fruit roll up" ears or his "I drink like a baby hippo" face.


No comments: