Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Options are bad. Lightroom is good.

If you haven't noticed I get a little carried away with Photoshop. I hear it's a typical newb mistake, but it drives me nuts! Well my friend Kelli has found a cure for me! Its called Lightroom. It has limited options compared to Photoshop. It still has millions of ways to change a picture, but is way simpler and straight forward, great for retards like me. Let me show you some examples.

So here is the SOOC pic:



Rowan looks dark, the sky is blown out, basically my white balance is total shit. At least that's what I think is wrong, I coulda just made that up. Regardless the light is wack.

Now here is what I did with photoshop:


Now I had just gotten TRA actions which are BAD ASS. I used their Big Blue action on the sky and their Yin/Yang on Rowan to lighten up his face and darken the rest. Well as you can see Rowan's face is strange and glowy. Especially right smack dab in-between his eyes. Now I'm not blaming TRA at all, that was totally my doing. I should have used a lower opacity brush and taken my time, but I'm a instant gratification kinda girl and didn't feel like it OK!?

Now look at my Lightroom edit:


Now I know it's still not perfect, but I've only had Lightroom about 4 hours :) But it is significantly better than the SOOC or PS version, and now I can mess with it even more in PS. With a few slides of nifty bars, I corrected some of the major issues without making it look totally fake. Thank you Kelli, I love you. Oh and please excuse his "boys" I know they are distracting, but they are necessary in order to show him. Speaking of, I need to make a post about our first point and the picture! I'll get to that soon.

-Nadia


No comments: