Friday, September 10, 2010

Beer Butt Chicken Recipe


You know you have gone from wild 20 something year old to lame domesticated house wife when you start posting recopies on your blog. BUT there is beer involved! So I'm not totally lame, right??


Beer Butt Chicken

(aka Beer Can Chicken, but I like to be politically incorrect as much as possible)


Ingredients

  • 1 Whole Chicken
  • 1 16oz tall boy can of the beer of your choice
  • 3/4 stick of butter
  • Salt or Season Salt
  • Pepper
  • Any spices you like on your chicken. I used lemon pepper, season salt, pepper and herbs de Provence my mommy sent me from France :)
  • 2-3 cloves fresh pressed garlic
  • 1/4 Olive Oil

Cooking Instructions

  1. Open tall boy. Take a swig, or 4. However many it takes to drink about a 1/4 of it.

  2. Pre-heat your grill to medium heat.

  3. In a small sauce pan melt butter, add your seasonings, and ALL the garlic. Just heat enough to melt the butter and mix it all up. Keep your spices out to season the chicken later.

  4. Pour your delicious buttery spice mix into the can, a funnel is very helpful. Put the can somewhere out of sight so you don't accidentally drink it.

  5. Get another beer to sip on.

  6. Coat chicken in a thin layer of olive oil, inside and out. Yes, you have to violate the chicken multiple times.

  7. Rub a healthy layer of salt, pepper, and spices all over the chicken. Inside and out again.

  8. Find your can and pour a little olive oil in your hand. Lube up the sides of the can so it doesn't get stuck in the chicken...I'm not a perv I swear. Although I've had to say that twice in blog posts now...

  9. Lower the chicken on to the can, be sure not to squish the can at all, and carefully put him on the grill. Be careful it's a little tipsy and slippery. Mine fell over but I managed to save it.

  10. Roast on medium heat for 1.5-2 hours depending on your grill. Keep it from direct big flames and flare ups. Juices should be clear and skin a crispy golden brown. Cut into top part a little to make sure, if need be. Don't over cook it!!
  11. You'll need some good tongs to get the birdie off the grill and can out of its butt. It should come out easily by lifting the bird and pulling down on the can. Two people works best, good luck. This part was a little sketchy for me ;)

  12. Carve bird and enjoy the looks on the faces of your guests, I guarantee its the best roasted chicken they've ever had!

No comments: