Thursday, October 2, 2008

New Friends

So, a few months back I was going to look at a 9 year old Swedish Warmblood stallion that was by the old grey stallion I ride now. (I've posted about him here: http://adventuresofrowan.blogspot.com/2008/07/my-other-love.html) He was also bred and foaled by my trainer, so she knew him well. But things didn't work out and I never actually got to see him, and really couldn't afford him anyway.\

Well about 2 weeks before Nationals my trainer calls me telling me that the owner of said stallion was willing to GIVE him away to the right home! Now I'm in the mortgage industry, so you can imagine how tight my budget is right now. There was no way I could afford to pay board and all that jazz, but I went to look at him anyway. BIG mistake. I fell in love at first sight. He was the spitting image of his father, and you all know how much I ADORE Gig.

So there I was trying to figure out how the hell I was going to pay for this horse, because there were no if, ands, or buts about it, he was coming home with me! I had been toying around with the idea of getting a roommate, so I posted an add on CraigsList. Knowing I'd get all kinds of wackos, I had NO expectations. Well not even a day later I get an email from a girl who seemed to be the PERFECT fit. A PE school teacher with a 2 year old boxer. Rowan desperately needed a house mate, so I was all for someone with a dog, but figured everyone would have naughty non-trained maniacs. So I met with the girl and we hit it off. Next step was to see how Rowan and Tyson got along. We met at a dog park and what do you know THEY hit it off.

It was 1 week before I left for 2 weeks of Nationals and I had a new roommate who I barely knew and a freaking HORSE that I knew NOTHING about, other than the fact that he was gorgeous and very naughty. I took a giant leap of faith and just went for it. My trainer kept telling me that I only live once and that life wasn't a dress rehearsal, and she was so right!

Now I'm back and things are perfect, for the time being. I've got a clean quite roommate with a clean quite dog, whose rent pays for my dirty loud rotten horse! No, he is actually really really wonderful. He hasn't been ridden in a few years and from the looks of it not touched in that long too. But after only two days of being groomed and worked on the lunge line is making progress by HUGE leaps and bounds. He just needed to be understood and have some serious TLC and consistency. So without further ado, here are pictures of my new family members Tyson the boxer and Peter the Swedish Warmblood.






No comments: