Monday, February 18, 2008

A Unique Valentine.....

Well, I went to watch my first "real" dog show this weekend. It was at the National Western Complex down in Denver. There were TONS of people and TONS of really nice dogs of all shapes and sizes, but of course my biggest interest was over in ring 13 and 14, where the Ridgebacks were. It was a real eye opener for me, but I left excited and anxious to start my own showing carrier.

I got to meet lots of new people, all of which were super nice and had really sweet dogs. I also saw how steep the competition was. YIKES! This stuff is serious! I found it very interesting how different Judges saw different things. I was often surprised that the dog I picked to win didn't, I guess it goes to show that I have A LOT to learn.

I got Justin to come with me to the show on Sunday! It was really fun to have him there. He is the greatest. He has really gotten into this whole show thing and is eager to support me in my new adventure. AND to my pleasant surprise he is a natural! I can't remember which class we were watching but there was a young pup, who was a bit butt high, as many youngsters are, and Justin was watching him intently and says to me, "that one is nice but, he is too high in the rear." I almost cried! I couldn't believe he was actually paying enough attention to the dogs to recognize their conformation! I mean yes, it was obvious to someone like me, but to someone who knows absolutely nothing about the way an animal should be built it was quite the accomplishment, at least in my eyes it was. I LOVE HIM :) And to top it off he was running on 5 hours of sleep preceded by a particularly rambunctious party we threw for our best friend James, who left for boot camp today. I usually can't get him out of bed to come eat breakfast 20 feet away from the bed after a night like that, let alone drive a half an hour to a smelly loud building to watch dogs run around in a big circle! (yes, I know, there is a lot more to it than that) He didn't officially announce his presence at the show as my Valentine's Day Present, but I feel like its one of the best gift someone can give. Interest and support in something your loved one is passionate about......cheesy, huh?! :)

Its the little things like this that have kept us together and happy for going on 5 years now.....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi this is Kelly R. from the rr-forum. Those puppies are so cute! I can only imagine your anticipation to bring one home!

I am glad that your bf? husband? made it to a dog show. I am pretty new to the AKC dog shows but have had many years in the 4-H dog project. I am still a nervous-nelly in the conformation ring, but more comfortable in the obedience ring. Yes, I do obedience with my RR.

Just wanted you to know that someone is looking at your blog and notices your efforts :) Have a good weekend.

Nadia said...

Thanks Kelley! Justin is my boyfriend :)