Thursday, April 17, 2008

Whirlwind...

Wow, what a first week and a half! I can't believe how fast its gone! Rowan is now 10 weeks old and now completely full of IT.

IT being pee, poop, barking, chewing, chasing the cat, screaming bloody murder when left in his crate (only sometimes now!), pouncing, chasing his tail in slow-mo, pulling dead stick weeds out of my back yard (cool, I know) and best of all cuddling, generally on top of my head while we (Justin, me, the cat, and Ro-stink) relax and watch the tube. Which, for some odd reason has mostly the Disney Channel, but that's a different story. Its going to become a problem down the road when a 90 pound dog wants to lay on top of my face, I guess we need to work on that one.


Speaking of working, this little guy LOVES to work and is such a fast learner. He now knows "down" & "touch" tricks, then there is always the not so fun commands, "come", "off" and "leave it". Being a hound he often has selective hearing, so keeping things fun and exciting enough to be the lucky winner of his selectivity can be quite the challenge. I have to admit that I have even used the cat to lure the puppy to me. I've brought him to work with me for a few days now and he behaves quite nicely, minus the two times he peed, but that was my fault. Its hard to tell if he is actually getting the concept of potty training, or if I just have impeccable timing, but I think in a week or two he will have it down pact. However, I am finding that just like training a young horse, you think your gettin somewhere then have set backs and have to start all over again, that's life...ahh the joys of raising a puppy, a lot more work than I remembered, but oh so worth it.

I swear he grows right before my eyes and the puppy breath is almost all gone now :( Before I know it he will be all grown up, so I'm going to have to savor the naughty puppy moments because they will be gone before I know it!

No comments: